A smarter, better way to invest in real estate
Jasper is a smarter, better way to invest in commercial real estate. We provide access to the highest-quality investment opportunities with low minimums, low fees, complete transparency, and liquidity.
- Visit website
- Funding stage
The Matchstiq Top 50
Matchstiq's take on Jasper
Jasper's mission is to build a fairer, more equitable investing future, so the next generation of investors can achieve financial freedom faster and live better, more fulfilling lives untethered from a 9-5 job.
The Market Opportunity Ahead for Jasper
From Jasper's viewpoint, the average investor lacks efficient access to high-quality alternative assets. They believe by the end of the decade, all alternative assets will live on immutable ledgers, be universally accessible, have global reach, and be liquid. Jasper is building the platform to facilitate this new era in alternative asset investing.
Jasper launched in November 2019 and has made rapid and efficient progress bringing a technically complex and regulated business model to market and rapidly scaling assets under management. With over $100 million of assets on the platform already, they are forecasting this to grow to $250 million by the end of the year, making Jasper one of the fastest-growing alternative asset managers in Australasia.
Diversity and Inclusion at Jasper
Jasper is committed to embedding diversity, engagement and belonging (DEB) in their hiring practices and culture. They recognise the value of a diverse and skilled team and want to build a company that represents the community in which it operates.
Initiatives in this area include extended parental leave, additional annual leave up to 6 weeks (based on tenure), mental health stipens, a flexible remote work environment, flexible attitudes towards start and end times.
Commercial real estate (CRE) is one of the most important assets for building long-term, generational wealth; however, investors lack an efficient way to access this asset class. Jasper is a CRE investing platform, where investors of all types can purchase fractional ownership in high-quality commercial buildings. Our goal is to reinvent the global CRE environment, using technology to enhance accessibility, transparency, and liquidity.
Working with us
Understands that talents and abilities can be developed over time; continually challenges themselves to learn and grow.
Doesn't worry about looking good—worries about achieving their goals. Owns mistakes and failures honestly and never points fingers. Absolutely no egos.
Thinks in the context of We, instead of I. Shows empathy, practices emotional intelligence, and constantly appreciates their peers. Avoids gossip.
Is detail-oriented and appreciate's high-quality craftsmanship, never settles for good enough, holds themselves to a high standard.
Doesn't take themselves too seriously. Says yes to fun; has a positive and playful disposition.
Understands that innovation requires failure and frustration. It becomes better the harder things get. Never has “no solutions”; knows how to get shit done.
Engineering & Product
Ollie Shaw, Co-founder and Head of Engineering at Jasper
How dreams of being the next David Beckham evolved into hacking a favourite childhood computer game...
Jasper’s mission is to democratize commercial real estate — providing access, liquidity, and transparency to investments that have traditionally only been available to a select few.
Jasper is searching for an outstanding Front-end Engineer with a strong emphasis on UX/UI design implementation to work within our successful product and R&D team.
Jasper's product team is responsible for all proprietary technology at Jasper, facilitating many millions of dollars in transactions and ongoing investment management. The product team develops and maintains three leading-edge React/GraphQL applications with the back-end mostly written in Go and hosted with AWS.
We're an early-stage company that is right on the cusp of beginning to scale internationally, so the work that you ship today will have a substantial impact on the success of our business as we build a world-class platform with a mission to open up inaccessible alternative asset classes to all.
This role is permanent and on-site in our beautiful Ponsonby (Auckland) office.
- Implement UX and UI in React applications with precision and attention to detail.
- Write automated tests so that we can build and deploy with confidence.
- Communicate with GraphQL APIs and contribute towards schema changes.
- Implement a polished user interface that provides a rich and interactive user experience.
- Build with consideration of best-practice methodology, performance, and accessibility.
- Share knowledge amongst the team, write documentation, and assist with the onboarding of new development staff.
- A few years of commercial front-end web development experience is ideal, but we’d like to talk to all talented people.
- Implementing modular styles in a React web application.
- Implementing responsive layouts for multiple device resolutions.
- Building data-driven React applications with state management and persistence.
- Writing unit and integration tests.
Investment / Acquisitions Analyst
We have an opportunity for an investment / acquisitions analyst with excellent academic qualifications and a genuine interest in real estate investments and the interaction with technology to get involved in a company which is at the very early stage of a journey to reinvent the commercial real estate investment environment.
We are looking for an Analyst with the versatility to get involved with many aspects of the business initially working in a small and growing team with a quick progression path for the right candidate. You will be expected to work with the Property team in all aspects of the investment process, from origination through to execution, and ongoing portfolio management.
Required skills and experience
• Strong academic background with a bachelor's degree (Management/Finance/Property degree)
• Ideally you will have 3+ years of relevant work experience, preferably from a REIT, bank, investment bank or real estate firm
• Highly organised and able to work to strict deadlines
• Strong financial modelling skills with the ability to develop and assist with new/existing excel models
• Meticulous attention to detail
• Excellent levels of initiation, drive and resilience
• Proficient verbal communication and writing skills
• Proven project management skills with deadline and delivery focus
• A genuine interest in business, technology and people
• Working cross-functionally within Jasper's Global team across Acquisitions, Investment & Asset Management, Engineering, Investor Relations, and Product.
• Working closely with the Acquisitions team and CIO to establish the most appropriate strategy for acquisitions. The initial focus is on scaling a recently seeded value-add/opportunistic fund with a JV partner that is one of the world's largest real estate investors.
• Researching and providing data on industry sectors and properties in both New Zealand and Australia
• Sourcing and evaluating new investment opportunities including performing valuation analyses using various real estate valuation methodologies, including discounted cash flow, multiples valuation and transaction comparables as well as reviewing valuations prepared by third party valuation firms
• Work with due diligence partners including lawyers, technical surveyors and environmental consultants to deliver timely and accurate reports, and identify and find solutions to issues as they arise
• Making informed recommendations on potential acquisitions and investment strategies across all asset classes and present to Investment Committee for approval
• Build and maintain detailed financial models to evaluate real estate performance under various operating scenarios and to analyse the impacts of various capital structures
• Meet with and present to investors and lenders, handling queries relating to the business plans per asset, underwriting and local market dynamics
• Developing partnerships with new capital partners and formulating JV strategies in NZ and Australia
• Assisting in the co-ordination and review of ongoing reporting to a large investor network comprising of global institutional investors, corporates, family offices, high net worth and retail investors
• Working closely with the Jasper tech development team to improve the traditional sourcing and diligence processes, leveraging data and machine learning and increasing efficiencies through developments to the Jasper platform
As the Asset Manager, you will be responsible for overseeing a portfolio of commercial real estate assets with a focus on driving long-term asset value through analytical, strategic, and proactive decision making. You will be responsible for formulating and executing the business plan on behalf of the investors, overseeing all capital projects, and monitoring investment performance.
- Actively manage the relationships with tenants and third-party management as necessary to ensure the assets achieve maximum value.
- Work with the Finance department to develop annual operating and capital budgets and facilitate reconciliations at the end of the financial year.
- Regularly report to investors on performance, budget variances, tenant arrears, tenant retention efforts, significant changes in the market and property conditions in general.
- Oversee third-party service providers to ensure that premium standard services are delivered to the occupiers and users of the building and to ensure all assets are compliant and meet current Health & Safety requirements.
- Manage the incoming Tenants’ fit-out contractors and co-ordinate works.
- Monitor capital improvement and renovation programs, as required, for property maintenance.
- Maintain tenancy schedules, critical dates diary and report to management on strategies for lease expiries, rent reviews etc.
- Make recommendations and lead negotiations on all new lettings, lease renewals and rent reviews as well as any proposed assignments, sublettings and surrenders.
- Liaise with solicitors in the preparation of lease and licence documentation as well as other legal matters/proceedings.
- Assist the Acquisitions team as required with strategic planning, underwriting and asset management strategies for pipeline assets.
- Ensure buildings within your portfolio are presented and managed in a manner commensurate with a premium service.
- Manage the collection of all monies due in a timely manner.
- Interact with tenants to promote goodwill and to be fully aware of any problems.
Required skills and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in a real estate, finance, accounting, economics, or related field
- 5+ years applicable experience required including a minimum of 3 years in asset management
- A deep understanding of the commercial property industry, market trends and legislation
- Financial management experience, including cost management, preparation of budgets, executing contracts, service contracts, addressing arrears/aged debtor issues.
- Strong financial modelling skills with demonstrated competence in Excel
- Experience of liaising with, and oversight of, third-party managers, advisors and consultants.
- Strong communication skills – both verbal and written.
- Experience with MRI property management software is a plus
- Experience managing industrial assets is a plus
Risk & Compliance Manager
Reporting directly to the CEO, this is an exciting opportunity to join a successful tech startup, in a role that offers enormous opportunity for career advancement. The Risk and Compliance Manager will front the risk and compliance activities for Jasper to ensure that the business is compliant with its licensee and regulatory obligations.
- Ensure that Jasper have the appropriate policies and processes in place to satisfy the conditions of its financial markets services licence(s), as well as its statutory and regulatory obligations under the FMCA and AML/CFT Act.
- Act as the main point of contact for external advisers, legal partners, the FMA and FIU on all risk and compliance matters.
- Regularly report to the CEO, Board, FMA and FIU as required for all risk and compliance matters, including filing suspicious activity transaction reports.
- Keep up-to-date with all regulatory changes and conduct trends, including regulator guidance notes and reports.
- On going development and maintenance of Jasper's AML framework, AML Compliance Programme and Risk Assessment Programme.
- Run investor on-boarding and approval, working alongside Investor Relations to facilitate a compliant yet enjoyable customer experience.
- Providing training to the business, quality assurance testing and audit of any risk and compliance programmes.
- Regularly audit company procedures, practices, and documents to identify possible weaknesses or risk.
- Investigate all complaints made and ensure that they are properly handled.
Required skills and experience
- 3 – 5 years’ proven experience in a compliance related role.
- Exceptional stakeholder management and communication skills.
- Good understanding of the FMCA and AML / CFT Act.
- In depth knowledge of AML management, gained through an organisation with a mature risk management capability.
- Experience working within a licensed financial services business is a plus.
- Entrepreneurial, self-motivated and enthusiastic with the ability to deliver results.
- Highly organised with exceptional attention to detail.
- Technology literate. Comfortable working across a variety of software systems.
- Flexible work from home provisions.
- Opportunity for an equity stake in the business for exceptional sustained performance.
- Fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment.
- Brand new workstation package including Macbook Pro, dual 23" external screens, Apple peripherals, Airpod Pro headphones.
- Extended maternity & paternity leave (outside government minimums).
- Extended annual leave (5 weeks after 3 years tenure, 6 weeks after 5 years tenure).
Go Software Engineer
We're a high-performing product & engineering team looking for exceptional people as our business scales rapidly. We build leading-edge tech to facilitate market-moving transactions and manage $100M+.
We're currently located in Grey Lynn while our premium new office is getting fit-out at Viaduct Harbour in the CBD (September move-in date).
For more information, please see jasper.io.
You will develop services in Go that communicate protobuf messages over gRPC and through a GraphQL gateway. You'll build on top of our AWS cloud infrastructure, leveraging services such as SQS, Kinesis, QLDB, DynamoDB, and more.
- Go, gRPC, Protobuf
- AWS — Fargate, Lambda, QLDB
- DevOps: Datadog, Sourcegraph, GitHub, Terraform, Docker
You might work on
- Building systems that settle transactions on our Secondary Market.
- Creating new functionality for our multi-currency wallets that hold funds.
- Implementing OCR and natural language processing to improve investor onboarding.
- Launching Jasper into completely new markets and developing for their specific requirements.
Jasper’s mission is to democratise access to institutional-grade alternative assets, starting with commercial real estate. We believe that by the end of the decade, all alternative assets will live on immutable ledgers, be universally accessible, have global reach, and be liquid. We're building the platform to facilitate this new era in alternative asset investing.