Interactive Musical Education App
Melodics is an app that helps users master the skills the world’s best musicians use to create the world’s greatest music. The app adapts to users' abilities and musical tastes to help them get better at keys, pad drumming and e-drums, faster.
The app is free to download and includes 60 free lessons that will help users to start building rhythm, timing, and muscle memory immediately.
- Visit website
- Funding stage
The Matchstiq Top 50
Matchstiq's take on Melodics
Melodics is on a mission is to enrich the world with music and make it accessible for everyone.
The Market Opportunity Ahead for Melodics
Over 1 billion people have had music lessons in their lives and 90% give up within four months. On top of this, there are 285 million practicing and aspiring musicians in the world, 100 million new musicians enter the market each year, and 90 million leave. Melodics retains new musicians at 3x the rate of traditional methods, with a current user base of around 300k, and growing fast!
Diversity and Inclusion at Melodics
Building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive organisation is embedded in the companies values:
They acknowledge that building a diverse and inclusive team with equitable people practices requires an ongoing focus, and are committed to continuing that journey.
Some of their initiative and progress to date include:
- Showcasing career pathways in technology, specifically music tech for Maori & Pasifika students.
- Donating to Passion to Profession as part of our December sale and hosted a Vaka Experience with Passion to Profession, which included 16 students visiting Melodics to see what they do and how they do it.
- Took part in a Careers Talanoa with Navigators of Success.
They have designed their people & culture practices with inclusion and equity lens that heavily draws on their values. This includes decoding job ads for bias and a strong emphasis on learning and development to recognise and reduce bias across all facets of the business.
Engineering & Product
Aria Jones, Product Delivery Manager at Melodics
Wanting to "do music" from a young age has really turned out for Aria Jones, Product Delivery...
Laila Ben-Brahim, Social Media Specialist at Melodics Ltd
Working in and around music and creative people was the ultimate career goal for Laila Ben-Brahim...
HR & People
Vanessa Radich, People & Culture Director at Melodics
A last minute change of heart, saw Vanessa Radich, People and Culture Director at Melodics pivot...
Head of Finance
“If you make beats… Melodics is like going to the gym for a workout!” - DJ Jazzy Jeff.
Melodics is shaping the future of music learning. We want to make music-making accessible to everyone, and enrich our world through doing so.
After a busy and exciting first 5 years, Melodics is entering a new phase. We’ve proven the core concept, and we’re switching gears from start-up to scale-up. Our team is currently almost 40 people strong, and looking to nearly double by 2022. Our three-year strategy includes some big goals, and we need you!
We are a user experience driven company that places the customer at the heart of our decision-making. Our team is made up of a diverse bunch who come from a range of backgrounds (e.g. professional music, SaaS, higher education).
Melodics was conceived by Founder and CEO Sam Gribben in 2014. Having finished at Serato after a decade at the helm, Sam was ready for something new. He’d worked with some of the biggest artists in the music world, and with the international companies that built the instruments and controllers they used. Along the way he observed how important pad and cue point drumming was becoming in the overlapping worlds of DJing and production.
Along with revolutionising the way music learning happens, Sam wanted to build a company that does things differently in terms of its internal culture and ethos. As a result, Melodics prioritises staff wellbeing and development, and we provide a range of benefits that is constantly expanding.
Above all, we strive to create an inclusive environment for our team, customers, and partners. You can read about our company values here.
Day to day:
You will have the ability to make a material impact at a pivotal time in our journey as the functional lead of our finance team. You will enjoy a hands-on, collaborative approach to take the financial performance, processes, team and business to the next level, supporting and driving growth and change. You will form close working relationships across the business and a highly skilled financial and commercial communicator, with a forward-looking approach. Commercially savvy, your recommendations will be supported by clear, insightful analysis, and you will have gravitas to quickly gain the confidence of the whole team including the Board. Your focus on improvement will touch not only performance but process and service efficiency. Embracing the use of technology to provide insightful reporting and advice will assist the organisation achieve its strategic goals.
Responsibilities will include:
- Providing insights, commercial support and financial strategic recommendations for the business;
- Leading the forecasting and budgeting processes;
- Ensuring strong financial management and controls; The business understand their budgets, targets and their contribution to the financial success of the business;
- Developing financial processes are fit for purpose, efficient, can scale, and have strong internal controls;
- Funding, FX management and cash flow management;
- Board and Shareholder reporting and comms;
- Working with the CEO and senior leadership team on investment and new commercial activities.
- Overseeing the management reporting, statutory reporting, tax compliance, grant processes and transactional processing.
- Ensure compliance with laws and regulations, and that risks are managed.
- Lead the finance team & function.
Having a team of two, this will suit someone who is keen to get stuck into the details and roll their sleeves up but can also communicate and drive the bigger picture, while growing their role and function in line with the company's growth.
You may already be in a similar role but could be looking for a step up or new challenge. You must be a fantastic communicator, be able to influence and engage positively yet be humble and able to engage and listen to all perspectives.
- You will be a qualified Chartered Accountant, ideally you will have qualified with one of the ‘Big 4’.
- You've held a functional finance lead role within a growing tech organisation in NZ
- You understand what excellence looks like for a company $50-$100m t/over
- You've got a good understanding of the NZ taxation and accounting practices;
- You can demonstrate previous success in financial and business performance and growth;
- You're able to influence others and build positive relationships.
- You're highly organised with an analytical mind, and have a keen eye for detail.
- You have a demonstrated ability and willingness to be hands-on with a record of transformation and implementing best practice.
- You have very strong commercial and business acumen.
- You have a track record of ‘can do’, ‘roll up sleeves’ action and results orientation
Bonus points for:
- Experience in the world of music creation
- Experience in a B2C and/or Saas business
- Experience in growing company from $10-$100m turnover
- Experience in funding rounds and Due Diligence.
You definitely don’t have to tick all the boxes, we’re looking for someone who can grow with us. If you feel like you tick most of the boxes, then we’re keen to hear from you!
Lastly, as a group we’re pretty obsessed with either: music, education, design-thinking, adaptive learning. It’s a plus if you are enthusiastic about some of these areas too!
Some of the cool things about working at Melodics are:
- Working in a positive, fast-moving, and motivating environment, solving interesting and meaningful problems around music and education
- We truly value innovation and growth – ask us about our weekly growth experiments!
- We’re a friendly and smart team – we listen to each other’s ideas and give everyone a voice to influence and shape the future of Melodics
- We have a documented Diversity, Equity and Inclusion strategy, have taken our full team through an ally skills workshop, and have taken other meaningful actions in this area
- We want you to work in the best way that you can, and have a documented flexible working policy
- We value the wellbeing of our team –- we have mental health and physical health First Aid-ers, we've replaced traditional 'sick leave' with uncapped wellness leave from day one of your employment, and an annual 'winter wellness' bonus payment
- An array of musical instruments you can borrow and play! (And office jams)
If this sounds like something you might be interested in, please hit apply or get in touch! We’re waiting to hear from you.
Applicants for this position should hold the right to work in NZ.