The smart work app for farmers, growers & contractors
Onside is a digital toolkit that powers rural operations and protects rural people. Onside achieves this through a digital check-in solution that strengthens and simplifies operations, safety and biosecurity for rural businesses.
The need for visitor management software in the rural sector has drastically increased recently, particularly through COVID. Rural businesses these days are often large, fast-moving, sophisticated businesses that have lots of moving pieces every day.
- Visit website
- Funding stage
The Matchstiq Top 100
Matchstiq's take on Onside
Onside's mission is to revolutionise global biosecurity, transform operational efficiency and enhance worker safety in agribusiness.
The market opportunity ahead for Onside
Onside is currently expanding rapidly in Australia, having put boots on the ground there in June 2021. This year is an exciting one for the business as we target the next market and complete our Series A raise. The end goal is to revolutionise global biosecurity, helping rural sectors all around the world optimise readiness and response to incursions.
Why Onside is a great place to work
Onside is a great place to work because everyone's opinion is valued and encouraged, from the newest recruit to the senior team. We pride ourselves on being an "A-Team" of smart, quirky individuals that can solve the most complex problems in the simplest way.
Our work culture is one of performance over everything. We trust our team to deliver results, however, they need to do their best. Four day work weeks, unconventional office hours, working from home and bringing pets to work are just a few examples of how some of our team operate to do their best work.
Our great culture isn't limited to the internal team - one of our core values is "Customers Rule" and we live that every day. We love our customers and do everything in our power to deliver them the best experience. We also respect the opinions of our customers and value their input when it comes to shaping the future of our product.
Working with us
Need for Speed
We go fast and meet our audacious goals.
We believe in the power of better connections. Sharing information and working together makes everything better.
Innovate to Win
We take on any problem and back each other to find amazing solutions.
Simple is Cool
We do the legwork to make complex things simple. We strive for simplicity in both our product and our company.
Act like an Owner
Every dollar counts and we treat it like our own. Profitability helps us change the world.
Without our customers, there's no Onside. We know to be successful; we need to make them successful.
Software Engineer x2 Junior/ Intermediate
About the Role
We are looking for a passionate and talented software developer to join Onside to help solve some of the most important issues facing rural businesses:
- How to keep people safe in complex and fast moving rural environments
- In the light of climate change and other resource pressures, how to stop pests and animal diseases from spreading between productive farms
- How to help rural businesses collaborate and communicate more efficiently
Join us, and help us deliver our vision to build a next-gen biosecurity network to connect and protect rural businesses and people.
What would I do?
Join our highly experienced dev team building software on the latest Microsoft .NET stack. Help us ship new software to customers at least twice a week using our implementation of Kanban.
You will build user-facing features in C# targeting both our web product (.NET Blazor), mobile applications (Xamarin Forms) and cloud applications (Azure), together with storing appropriate data in our database (Entity Framework/SQL Server) and spend 10% of your time on innovation projects.
What skills should I bring? Intermediate Level:
- Proven experience as a software engineer, 3 years +
- Experience in app development with Xamarin using C# .NET, SQLite.
- Hands-on experience in agile methods
- BSc/BA in Computer Science or a related degree
- Can write high quality code utilising industry best practices
- Broad knowledge of software development process and practice
- Able to complete development activities independently
- Analytical mind with problem-solving aptitude
- Ability to work independently
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills
- Open and honest, with excellent communication skills
- Highly motivated and self-driven
- Ability to deal with large or complex problems
What skills should I bring? Junior Level:
- Passion for programming, experience with C preferred
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Team player – communication and collaboration
- Knowing the right time to question things, having a strong opinion backed with data
- Domain knowledge about farms or the rural sector would be an added bonus
Fit with Onside’s culture and values
- Customer’s rule – Without our customers, there’s no Onside. We know to be successful; we need to make them successful.
- Need for speed – We go fast and meet our audacious goals.
- Innovate to win – We take on any challenge and back each other to find amazing solutions.
- Better together – We believe in the power of connections. Sharing information and working together makes everything better.
- Simple is cool – We do the legwork to make complex things simple. We strive for simplicity in both our product and our company.
- Act like an owner – Every dollar counts, and we treat it like our own. Profitability helps us change the world.
General Manager Finance
Reports to: CEO
Agreement: Initially flexible or full time
Direct reports: TBC
Key relationships: Senior Management, Board of Directors, Third party accounting, Finance operations
Onside is building a realtime network of movements among rural properties to revolutionise biosecurity. We do this through our digital check-in software, connecting rural people, streamlining operations and protecting businesses. Today, Onside is used by over 30,000 people on over 13,000 properties across New Zealand, Australia and the UK and has mapped over 1m movements. Onside is backed by both private and public investors including K1W1, Icehouse Ventures and NZ Growth Capital Partners. The business is rapidly scaling and on the hunt for great people to power our global expansion.
About the role
Lead the Onside finance and commercial functions to allow the business to scale globally effectively and efficiently. This role is part of the senior leadership team at Onside and ideally becomes our CFO as the business scales.
- Capital plan executed to provide required funding for growth
- System and processes to allow business to scale
- Timely and accurate reporting
- Effective resource allocation and investment decisions
- Strong culture of financial ownership across the business
- Produce monthly management financial reporting and variance commentary – P&L, Cash Flow and Balance Sheet
- Work with external accounting and tax advisors to produce Annual Financial Statements (unaudited)
- Cost centre reporting for each functional area
- Sales commissions for sign off by sales
- Board reporting on a monthly basis
- Shareholder reporting on a quarterly basis
- Manage payroll and remuneration processes
- Ensure GST and PAYE is processed accurately and in a timely way
- R&D Tax Loss application
- RDTI application
- Claims from grant providers – NZTE, SFFF, SA Govt
- Coordinate applications for new grants – NZTE
- Companies office reporting
Systems & Processes
- Develop reporting system and process strategic plan
- Implement new financial reporting systems as required
- Manage billing and payment platforms
- Lead annual budgeting process
- Lead quarterly forecasting for YTG financial year
- Manage longer term forecasting process – five year
- Work with senior team on business cases for new expenditure/projects
- Review key customer contracts
- Work with team on business model development and pricing changes
- Review and negotiate key supplier agreements with input from the senior team
- Work with the Board to develop a capital plan to ensure business has adequate funding
- Input into presentations and pitch decks
- Lead due diligence process
- Work with legal advisors on documentation
- Engage with investors/shareholders
- Manage capitalisation table
Skills and experience
- Relevant tertiary qualification in accounting
- 10+ years finance experience
- Experience in a SaaS company ideal
- Proficient in all the tools of the trade
- Team player and self-starter who takes initiative to effect change and help drive the business forward.
Fit with Onside’s culture and values
Customer’s rule – Without our customers, there’s no Onside. We know to be successful; we need to make them successful.
Need for speed – We go fast and meet our audacious goals.
Innovate to win – We take on any challenge and back each other to find amazing solutions.
Better together – We believe in the power of connections. Sharing information and working together makes everything better.
Simple is cool – We do the legwork to make complex things simple. We strive for simplicity in both our product and our company.
Act like an owner – Every dollar counts, and we treat it like our own. Profitability helps us change the world.
How to apply
If this role sounds like you, get in touch with Ryan on +64 27 526 1829 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
WE ARE ONLY ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FROM NZ RESIDENTS / CITIZENS