Senior Embedded Software Engineer (Linux)
About the Role
We're excited to be hiring our second Senior Embedded Software Engineer. This is a senior role and you'll be helping us to grow the team. We have a pile of systems outlines, concepts, functional prototypes, test setups, and scripts - and we need to resolve these to deliver a real product to market.
To be clear - you will not be polishing some ancient code or tinkering around the edges - this is a jump-in boots-and-all clean sheet opportunity. This is a highly complex project - involving hard real-time safety-critical sensing and processing, configurable, distributed IOT system of systems. If this sounds exciting then keep reading.
Some of the things that you might be involved in initially include:
- Assisting our systems team with rapid prototyping of new concepts to realise and validate IP blocks
- Implementing real-time sensor and communication integrations, complex analytic algorithms, and supervisory systems
- Implementing the cloud connectivity, firmware update mechanisms, security protocols, authentication and data management of an IOT system.
- Building from the ground up a software development and test system, in the face of evolving architecture, requirements, IP blocks, and interfaces
- For the right person, drive towards becoming our Lead Embedded Software Engineer and growing a world-class development team
- Helping to establish the processes and documentation systems for a safety-critical regulated product, working with our process leads to achieve this
- Creating efficient continuous test infrastructure, python scripts, test equipment interfaces, backend support systems
- Developing high-reliability software capable of functioning for years without resetting
- Setting up and maintaining software test frameworks including continuous integration systems
- Helping grow a high-performance team
We think you’ll be a fit for this role if you:
- Have a tertiary qualification in software development, or relevant experience
- Can create great embedded software in C & C++
- Have experience with embedded Linux: kernel development, Linux fundamentals, boot & startup procedures
- Are familiar with Linux-based performance analysis for managing computational workloads
- Understand the wider system beyond software, and can articulate the impacts of systems decisions on software and vice versa
- Have security experience with modern internet-attached Linux systems: ensuring 3rd party software is up-to-date, minimising exposure to internet-based attacks
- Are a team player - effective at working within a cross-discipline team, contributing to overall product creation
- Are comfortable working with uncertainty, using your initiative, and doing what it takes to solve problems
- Can sprint, iterate and understand when to go fast vs when to be detailed
- Have either the experience or passion for working in a start-up environment
- A competitive salary and employee share scheme (ESOP)
- A remote-first culture - work from home or come into the office, it's totally up to you
- Great new headphones when you join
- Flexible hours - we focus on effort and outcomes, so adjust your hours around your children, hobbies, or other commitments
- A schedule of fun team events throughout the year (ziplining, knife throwing, lawn games, what's next?)
- Office dogs
- Unlimited annual leave so that you can take the time that you need to re-energise
- Newly-refurbished offices in Auckland (by the beach) and Christchurch (by the park)
- The opportunity to learn and develop from some of the best and brightest minds in the industry!
We'd be excited to have you join our team! As a Senior Embedded Software Engineer, you will contribute greatly to the success of our journey. By shaping and implementing our product technology, we will truly create a lasting and positive impact for people all over the world.
We have a preference for someone close to our Christchurch Design Lab, however we welcome exceptional remote talent to apply.
No need to submit a cover letter - just click 'apply' to answer a few short questions of ours (we find this gives us more insight) and attach your CV.
If you have any questions about the role, fire them over to Beth at email@example.com