R&D Technician (Electrical)
UNLOCK your potential
The R&D Technician is a key member of the Hardware Engineering team, responsible for supporting the engineers in the development of current and future UBCO products. The role covers a wide variety of tasks, predominantly electrical in nature, but also needing mechanical and/or electromechanical skills. We need a broadly skilled, hands-on, technically capable person who can quickly adapt to whatever situation arises. You will have input into how the product functions, as well as how we do things within the Engineering team.
You will be directly involved in the delivery and support of UBCO vehicles, prototypes and subsystems. You will be a critical member of the team at the heart of delivering next generation electrified technologies. As part of this you will be responsible for developing and growing the processes, facilities and equipment required to align with UBCO’s growth.
Your problem-solving skills and your ability to communicate and collaborate with other members of the team will be vital to your success in this role.
OWN the technician platform
- Design and build of test equipment
- Documentation of test procedures
- Maintenance of test equipment
- Maintenance of UBCO R&D bike fleet
- Assisting with new part, system, and product test and validation efforts
- Conducting root cause analysis of field failures
- Part performance and highly accelerated life testing
- Producing custom components, systems and products
- Testing and validation of product design ideas
- Coordinate/communicate effectively with third party suppliers and service providers
- Test driving vehicles
BUILD on your experience
To be successful in this role you likely have:
- 3+ years experience in a technical field where you were involved with electronics assembly and testing
- Excellent general workshop skills, and have gained hands on experience with lab equipment or other sensitive apparatus
- A high level of computer literacy
- To be a fast learner
- A drive for excellence
- Attention to detail
It would be nice if you have
- A relevant tertiary level qualification such as – Diploma in engineering, Bachelor of Engineering (electrical, mechanical, mechatronics, software), or other technical qualification
- Experience using automated test equipment
- Experience with electronic design and troubleshooting
- Experience riding motorcycles and offroad vehicles
- Programming skills in C/C++ and python
CONNECT to the ride of your life
- Set your sights high with significant career development opportunities in a company on the cusp of remarkable growth.
- Help grow a meaningful business from the early stages with an ambitious group of like-minded innovators.
- Zip out to the beach, the nature park or up to the shops, on one of our 2X2s from our idyllic location in Tauranga
- Engage widely with our global company footprint, building lasting relationships with diverse, exceptional minds, around the world.
- See your work come to life, being loved, and used in the most unusual places worldwide from the desert to the arctic, and everything in between.
Excellent Compensation and Benefit Package Included.
UBCO is committed to an environment of mutual respect and inclusion, representative of all backgrounds and abilities. We celebrate the differences of our teammates and are a proud ally in our diversity goal as an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions at UBCO are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, colour, religion, or belief, national, social, or ethnic origin, sex, or gender identity. If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, please contact our local office.