Graduate Data Scientist
About the Role
We are looking for a talented post graduate to join our data science team to support complex data analysis projects using standard modelling and data transformation approaches. This is a 6-month paid internship program, full time at our Auckland office.
You should be comfortable working with very large data sets residing in different data stores in disparate formats and be strong with hands-on implementation, and data visualisation.
We are always on the look-out for great data-storyteller, passionate about product development, and knows how to use its knowledge to create value for our partners. You will have strong ownership of your project and will be working along side UI/UX designers, product manager and data engineers.
Please note: this job is being funded by Callaghan Innovation, and as such, you need to meet certain requirements before we can hire you. This opportunity is also subject to us getting the grant.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Conduct quantitative and qualitative analysis, including research, data collection, data preparation and exploring it for accuracy
- Application of statistical modelling and optimisation techniques most suited to solve business problem (using R, Python, SQL, and/or other relevant tools)
- Implement (and partly design) solutions for a defined data science related problem under the guidance of other experienced data scientists.
- Interpret outputs of statistical models and results to translate input from quantitative analyses into specific and actionable business recommendations and implications
- Providing detailed documentation of modelling techniques, methodologies, assumptions made and process steps
- Identify areas for further investigation as well as creating innovative methods of analysis
- Recently completed or in the final year of MSc/PhD in the field of Mathematics, Statistics, Economics, Computer Science, Engineering or related, in New Zealand.
- Expertise in one or more of the following domains is preferred: Natural Language Understanding (NLU), Natural Language Generation (NLG), Natural Language Processing (NLP).
- Ability to write programs in data science friendly language (R/Python) to prototype and test analytical ideas
- Data visualisation skills/experience (Tableau, PowerBI)
- Strong probability theory and statistics knowledge and some of the main data science algorithms
- Good problem-solving skills
- Good understanding of fundamental Machine Learning algorithms and tool-sets
- Empathy for customers, teammates, and other stakeholders
- Effective communication skills who is able to listen intently and understand the needs of the business and can convert these into clear and easily understood specifications and are able to present this across the teams.
At Parrot, you will be in a role you love and work with people you will enjoy sharing life with. We are a diverse team from every corner of the world putting our best foot forward to live our values and master our strengths.
You will get the encouragement, support, flexibility and resources you need to succeed, learn and grow in the role and in your career.
Here are some of our benefits:
- Flexible working - location and hours (remote first with office options)
- Opportunity to take part in the Employee Share Options Plan
- US$1K to spend on training/development every year
- Enhanced paid parental leave - 12 weeks for primary carer and 4 weeks for secondary carer
- Birthday leave
- Bi-annual salary reviews.