Senior Desktop Engineer
“If you make beats… Melodics is like going to the gym for a workout!” - DJ Jazzy Jeff.
Melodics was conceived by Sam Gribben, ex CEO of Serato, in the summer of 2014. Having finished up at Serato after a decade at the helm, Sam was ready for something new. He’d worked with some of the biggest artists in the music world, and with the international companies who built the instruments & controllers they used. Along the way he noticed how important pad & cue point drumming was becoming in the overlapping worlds of DJing & production. Thus, an idea was born.
Our product is shaping how the world learns to play musical instruments. We want to enrich our world with music and make it accessible for everyone. Melodics is entering a new phase. We’ve proven the core concept, and we’re switching gears from start up to scale up. We're currently 35 people and looking to nearly double by 2022. Our three year strategy includes some big goals, and we need you!
We are a user experience driven company that places the customer at the heart of our decisions. Our team is made up of a diverse bunch who come from a range of backgrounds (professional musicians, SaaS experience, higher education experience).
The tech team:
We’re a small but perfectly formed tech team. We believe that a small team of amazing developers can deliver more than a big team of good ones. We care deeply about our customers and strive to deliver results for them. We ship small and often, we’re always incrementally improving what we do. We continuously work to create an environment of selflessness, building on each others ideas by being generative (‘yes’ instead of ‘but’), and balancing high autonomy with lots of collaboration.
If what we do and how we work sounds like a bit of you, then please read on.
- You have commercial experience with modern C++
- You’re familiar with building and shipping cross-platform desktop and mobile applications
- You have experience in environments where shipping often is the norm, and you’ve used CI / CD tools.
- You build with cost, performance, and reliability in mind. You know when to make practical trade-offs and what is important to stick with.
- You build testable code, employing unit testing frameworks and techniques to reduce errors and facilitate code sharing.
- You’re proficient with Git source control tools and workflows
- You’ve used QT/QML on OSX and Windows Desktops, and iOS
You definitely don’t have to tick all the boxes, we’re looking for someone who can grow with us. If you feel like you tick most of the boxes, then we’re keen to hear from you!
Lastly, as a group we’re pretty obsessed with either: music, education, design-thinking, adaptive learning. It’s a plus if you are enthusiastic about some of these areas too!
The position is a permanent, full-time role. based in Auckland, New Zealand. While we have a lot of flexibility when it comes to WFH, we are looking for someone to be based from our office on Karangahape Rd for part of the working week.
Some of the cool things about working at Melodics are:
- Working in a positive, fast-moving, and motivating environment, solving interesting and meaningful problems around music and education
- We truly value innovation and growth - ask us about our weekly growth experiments!
- We’re a friendly and smart team - we listen to each other’s ideas and give everyone a voice to influence and shape the future of Melodics
- We want you to work in the best way that you can and have a documented flexible working policy
- We value the wellbeing of our team - we have mental health and physical health First Aid-ers, we've replaced traditional 'sick leave' with uncapped wellness leave from day one of your employment, and a 'winter wellness' bonus payment.
- An array of musical instruments you can borrow and play! (and office jams)
If this sounds like something you might be interested in, please hit apply or get in touch! We are waiting to hear from you.
Applicants for this position should have NZ residency or a valid NZ work visa.